Sunday 10 April 2011

The Design Museum

 Architecture:  "Playing with Lego Bricks and Paper"
This piece was is cute, colorful and happy, mixing reality with fantasy.  I chose it for architecture because I think a town wall designed like this would be really fun and add character to the area surrounding it.

 Furniture: "Endless"
  This chair is amazing not only because it's made from recycled refrigerators, but also because it looks super stylish and modern.  I love the ribbons of color that run vertically through the chair in varying shades of white, cream and green.

Transport: "EN-V"

This car is innovative because it is only one-third the size of cars currently on the road.  It would help improve safety conditions on the road because the car uses social networking technology to talk with other vehicles and automate driving and parking.

 
Graphics: "I Wonder"
The book is interesting because when it is closed it feels like a solid block of gold.  I thought the designs on the inside were interesting and liked the concept of a design book that explores people's mundane everyday thoughts and musings.

Wim Crouwel:
I liked Crouwel's works.  I did not think they were too minimal or lacking in excitement in any way.  I thought his works weren't visually overwhelming, but certainly did not lack visual elements.  The exhibition could be described as similar to the isotype exhibition in the V&A museum.  There were colors, but many of the logos and images were thick and block-like.  The way the exhibit was designed reminded me of the various nonsensical poster artwork at the Saatchi gallery.  Some of Crouwel's pieces were made up of smaller pieces all displayed together.  Crouwel's posters reminded me of Peter Blake's "Rock & Roll" because they both use bold lettering and a few select colors for each piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment